5/7/09

Two interviews, two different generations / Carme García

Nowadays, young people have a lot of activities to spend their free time. The internet revolution has required a new world of information and hobbies so people changed the way of spending their free time. In my opinion, these changes have taken place in a very short period of time. The media say than youngsters spend three hours in front of television. PC or whatever virtual machine. However, they also have time to practise sport, study and go out with their friends.

I would like to compare the different ways of spending free time in different generation. I’m going to start the interview with a person from the 1920s generation and then, I’m going to ask the same questions to a person from the 1990s.

1. How did you spend your free time in your teens?

1920s: I hadn’t so much free time. I really spent all of my time working and helping my parents to live, because of the little salary my father earned. Firstofall, I worked at a sweet factory and then I sewed jackets for a shop. When I had free time I rarely went to the cinema because it cost so much. I also went for a walk to the main square.

1990s: I started going out with my friends when I was 13 years old. We went to the park and go to de disco where we linked with boys. We used to go to de cinema once a week. Besides, I liked chatting with my friends by internet when I arrived home. Especially I enjoyed gossiping.

2. How did other teens spend their free time?

1920s:
They would go to the cinema. People who had enough money also went to a café where they could dance on Saturday. Boys played football and girls went for a walk. There weren’t swimming pools and only boys could go to de the river to swim.

1990s: My friends and I did what I just said. Some of them play football, basketball or practise any sport. Actually, I don’t like sports so I don’t play any. Some also played any instrument at the conservatory of music and when we are on our own at home we can spend hours in front of television.

3. What was your town offering you to enjoy the free time?

1920s: Cinema and it had a café where you could go to dance.

1990s: A swimming pool from June to late August. A ‘sportive town’ with an athletics track and a tennis court, a football pitch, a wall where you practise climbing. It also offers an air-conditioning swimming pool. Besides, schools offer theatre lessons in the afternoon.

In fact, the society has changed a lot in the last 100 years. Today there aren’t the same necessities as 60 years ago, so towns have also changed, that is why people spend their time in a different way. It’s difficult to decide which one is the best.

by Carme García Benito, 1º BACH A

No comments: