4/22/09

Ainoa Davila Ferreira interviews her father / Spain

It is always said that teenagers are different depending on the time of life. This is true but I believe that there are things that never change and they're still as they were some decades ago.

I asked my father and he told me a lot of things about his teens. His name is Jose Jaime, he is 48 years old and when he was my age it was the beginning of the 80´s.

- Jaime, when you were my age, did you have the same free time as I do? Why?

Yes, because I was studying. Nevertheless, at the same time I used to play football and I had to train three evenings a week.

- Did you use to spend your free time on your own or with other people?

I used to spend my free time with more people because I was part of a team: we trained together and when we finished, we usually went out to have dinner with the coach.

- What about your hobbies?

I loved music and when I was your age I used to listen to Spanish and foreign rock, such as Barón Rojo, Leño, Asfalto, Deep Purple, Pink Floyd, Bob Dylan… We used to go to concerts of this kind of groups and others less important, in Ourense and on the outskirts. Normally, this kind of concerts took place in bullrings or sport centres from midnight to seven o'clock in the morning.

I have wonderful memories of a concert in El Barco de Valdeorras and another one in Xinzo. In the first one we were going to put up a tent but we lost a centerpole and we had to use a piece of wood.

Other hobbies of mine were playing football.

- Why did you do that?

Because I liked music, going to concerts, listening to music at home buying CD's. And I loved playing football because practising sports kept me fit. I always played in teams so as to travel and get to know new places, but then, I met my present wife and I stopped playing football to spend more time with her. A few years later I started playing another kind of football called indoor football but I had to give it up because of a serious injury.

-What did your parents think about it?

They thought that it was good and they came to all the matches. They become friends of other parents. In addition, my father loved going to matches because he played football for the veteran team in Ourense.

- Did other youngsters enjoy doing the same things?

Youngsters close to me did, but there were others who preferred other things, such as going to discos, parties, "guateques"…

- And, did you use to go to discos?

Not so much. Normally I went to discos once a month because my friends would normally go on Sunday evenings but on some Sundays I'd play football.

- Do you think any of your hobbies were useful for your life? Why?

I think so, because now I'm 48 years old and I'm faster than my daughters, who are 17. And this is thanks to football. It's also thanks to football that I keep fit, I'm healthy, I know a lot of friends, I know the province of Ourense and I grew up as person.

- What is your opinion about the way young people spend their free time nowadays?

My opinion is that, nowadays, young people have more enjoyable means than before and they don't know how to value them.

In fact, time goes by, people and their habits change a lot but there are things that never change.

I think young people should take care of the environment and they should value nature more. I disagree with street partying or that people should drink alcohol at these early ages and I believe the problem of young people is that they have got too many things.

By Ainoa Davila Ferreira, 1º BACH

No comments: