3/23/09

"Moulin Rouge"

1900, Paris, in the Montmartre quarter. The Moulin Rouge is a den of vice for all men of society who mingle with the girls of the streets. Satine, the Glittering Diamond of the Moulin Rouge, is one of these girls. Her role : selling love. But what do you do when your heart becomes attached to a man (the young poet Christian) while it has already been bought (by Duke Monroth) ?
A film which links sensuality and love, comic actors and tragedy, through the magic of the musical, allows us to enter the colourful world of the Moulin Rouge !
FRANKLY, I loved this film ! Its soundtrack sang to me ! and its casting gathers box-office stars like EWAN MCGREGOR (audacious Obi-Wan of Star Wars) and NICOLE KIDMAN (I think she's simply TREMENDOUS in this role) ! My favourite scene remains Roxane's tango : this song tells of the jealousy which a lover feels when his companion sells her charms and on screen a multitude of couples dancing in perfect synchronization. It is so spellbinding that this made me feel like signing up for tango lessons before I changed my mind !
by Naël

No comments: