2/18/09

My France Experience - a diary

by Charlene

Wednesday (1st day)
After a relaxed trip we arrived in Château du Loir which is close to Le Mans. The students Our “Corres” (the French students where we stayed) received us in their school. I think they were happy that we arrived, because their receipt was very warm and welcoming. We went with our corres to the city hall and the mayor delivered a speech, but it was a little stupid because the mayor only talked in French. After this speech we got some gifts, it was a very nice surprise for us. At the beginning, however, we were a little confused about all those new faces and different languages (-:
Next thing, I met the girl I was staying with, her name is Alice. She and her parents were very nice and welcoming to me (thank you again!). After the reception we drove to their house and I met her Dad. He was very friendly, too.

Thursday (2nd day)
On Thursday we went to school with our “Corres”. We had chemistry and physics. What a difference compared to Germany. An interesting observation I made: The pupils are more disciplined than in Germany, the school is very clean. But sometimes they talked much and do personal things (for example they played with their mobile). After the school we went to their gym and played Badminton and Volleyball, it makes a lot of fun. At home we watched a DVD in English, Alice and her mother heven tried to get English, so that I could understand something, but it did not work out. This is only one example of how my host family cared about me , it was very beautiful :).

Friday (3rd day)
On Friday we visited an old castle, it was a very impressive thing. The castle was very big and beautiful, the only drawback was that the weather was so bad. After the visit we went shopping in Tours. The Spanish and Belgian students could go alone in Tours, but we (the German students) had to go with our Corres which led to some differences of opinion, because we were so many pupils and everybody wanted to go in another shop.

Saturday (4th day)
On our last day on Saturday we went to Le Mans together with the French students where we could go shopping again. It was good weather and we all had a lot of fun. After shopping we went to an ice skate-rink where it was funny, because it gave also there program. :)

On Sunday we flew back to Germany.
Not only was it beautiful in France (despite the rain) - I could also learn a lot about French culture and customs and I could really train my English. Even if it is sometimes difficult to talk and to listen when there are different languages everywhere around you. I am very excited and happy when the students come to Bremen to visit us in May :).

Charlene

No comments: